[Mailman-Users] Mailman and Gmane ?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Jan 23 03:07:44 CET 2010

John Fitzsimons wrote:

>On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 16:33:07 -0800, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>
>>The script is not a screen scraper in that sense. It accesses the
>>list's admin Membership Management... -> Membership List pages and
>>parses them to get the data.
>
>Via my browser, or via an FTP logon ? I am using a windows system and
>CPanel.

Neither. The script is a Python application that runs under control of
Python on your windows box (You download windows Python at the link in
my prior mail). It accesses your cPanel list's web admin interface via
HTTP just as you would with your browser, except it doesn't use your
browser. It sends HTTP GET requests and reads the responses just as a
browser would, but it doesn't display the retrieved pages; it just
parses them to get the desired information.

You could do the same thing with a browser by going to the Membership
Management... -> Membership List pages one by one and writing down all
the relevant information you see there, but the script effectively
does that for you.