[Mailman-Users] Mailman web user interface kick-off

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Fri Jan 22 23:19:39 CET 2010

Hello folks,

I'd like to officially kickoff the Mailman 3 web user interface project.  I
want to invite all interested developers and designers to join in on helping
to produce an awesome, modern user interface for the next version of Mailman.

I believe we have enough infrastructure in the core Mailman 3 engine to
support at least initial work on the WUI.  The architecture we've laid out is
solid I believe.  The Mailman 3 engine provides a REST HTTP server exposing a
full-access administrative interface.  The WUI will be a separate optional
process that sites can run, which communicates over REST to manage security
and provide external HTTP/HTML access to Mailman functionality for users, list
administrators, and site administrators.

All discussions about the WUI can be conducted on the mailman-developers
mailing list.  The wiki can be used to collect artifacts such as design notes,
decisions, and progress:

http://wiki.list.org/display/DEV/Web+Interface

(Contact me or mailman-cabal at python.org off-line if you need write access.
The wiki is fairly locked down due to spam.)

The Launchpad project for the Mailman WUI is here:

https://launchpad.net/mailmanweb

but there is currently very little there at the moment.  Remember too that we
are trying to gather critical mass to sprint on the WUI at Pycon 2010:

http://wiki.list.org/display/DEV/PyCon+Sprint+2010

Enjoy,
-Barry