[Mailman-Users] Adding users with cron - permission problems

Phil Ewels phil at tallphil.co.uk
Wed Jan 27 18:29:44 CET 2010

Hi all,

I have a registration form where users, amongst other things, choose a
number of mailing lists to sign up to. I don't want users to have to go
and individually sign up to each list, so I'm trying to automate the
signup process.

After doing a bit of reading around, the closest I've got is to generate
a plaintext file of email addresses for each newsletter and then use a
cron command to sign these up, using the add_users program.

To test, I've been running this cron command:

echo test at testing.co.uk |
/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/bin/add_members -r - info

Where info is the listname (info at nanotp.org)

I get the following error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/bin/add_members", line 258, in ?
     main()
   File "/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/bin/add_members", line 211,
in main
     mlist = MailList.MailList(listname)
   File "/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line
128, in __init__
     self.Lock()
   File "/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line
161, in Lock
     self.__lock.lock(timeout)
   File "/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/Mailman/LockFile.py", line
243, in lock
     self.__write()
   File "/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/Mailman/LockFile.py", line
422, in __write
     fp = open(self.__tmpfname, 'w')
IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied:
'/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/locks/info.lock.hephaestus.safeukdns.net.24247.0'

I tried check_perms -f and get the same error:

/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/bin/check_perms -f

Warning: Private archive directory is other-executable (o+x).
          This could allow other users on your system to read private
archives.
          If you're on a shared multiuser system, you should consult the
          installation manual on how to fix this.
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/bin/check_perms", line 399, in ?
     checkarchivedbs()
   File "/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/bin/check_perms", line 258,
in checkarchivedbs
     for dir in os.listdir(mm_cfg.PRIVATE_ARCHIVE_FILE_DIR):
OSError: [Errno 13] Permission denied:
'/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/archives/private'

Can anyone suggest a way to get around this problem? Or an alternative
method of automating signups (they can be totally silent). I have tried
a similar method using the PHP exec() command to hit the same program
but had similar permission problems.

Cheers,

Phil