[Mailman-Users] Private archive nightmare with vhosts

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Jan 29 02:08:19 CET 2010

UGSD quoted me and wrote:

>> Before you commit too heavily to this, I suggest you look at the first
>> 570+ lines at
>> <http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~mailman-coders/mailman/2.1/annotate/head%3A/NEWS>
>> and see if you really want to be installing a 4 year old release.
>The only reason i chose 2.1.7 is because the patch applied cleanly, but i guess you are right.
>I just sat down and applied the patch to the 2.1.13 source. There few few rejects, but I went through
>all of them and it looks like that code that already made it upstream and included in 2.1.13.

I made a 2.1.13 vhost patch a little differently. I made a bazaar 2.1.7
branch, applied the 2.1.7 vhosts patch, committed the result, did a
bzr merge from the 2.1.13 branch which produced 5 conflicts, the only
significant ones being in Mailman/MTA/Utils.py and Mailman/Utils.py,
and resolved the conflicts.

I am testing with that. This patch is at
<http://www.msapiro.net/mm/2.1.13_vhost.patch> if you're interested.
It is essentially the 2.1.7 patch, but fixed to apply cleanly to

>Compiled and installed it, but for the life of me i cant create a new list for a virtual domain.
>       bin/newlist -u lists.domain1.net test-list at lists.domain1.net
>and end up with
>       Illegal list name: pruchai-test at lists.calit2.net
>This is very strange, because the domain already exists in mm_cfg.py and the patch applied cleanly to bin/newlist too.
>Any idea what may be wrong?

Yes. Really the MailList.Create() method should be patched, but the
workaround is to add


to mm_cfg.py. This adds '@' to the default list of acceptable listname
characters and allows list names with '@' to pass a new (since 2.1.7)
check in MailList.Create().

As far as the problems with the archives are concerned, I've tested
just a bit and I see the problem (but not the solution yet). I think
part of the problem for me is that the host name in a
listname at hostname list cannot be the same as DEFAULT_URL_HOST. I have
a DNS issue on my test machine that makes it difficult for me to add
additional host names so that's hampering my testing at the moment.

But the issue is more than that. At the moment, I have four lists - two
lists.listname lists and two lists/msapiro.net/listname lists. All
four of these appear on the overviews at
http://msapiro.net/mailman/admin and
http://msapiro.net/mailman/listinfo with link URLs like
http://msapiro.net/mailman/admin/listname and
http://msapiro.net/mailman/listinfo/listname, but only the
lists/msapiro.net/listname list URLs work. The others give "No such
list listname at msapiro.net".

I will continue to look at this, but if your testing turns up anything,
let us know.

Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net>        The highway is for gamblers,
San Francisco Bay Area, California    better use your sense - B. Dylan

More information about the Mailman-Users mailing list