[Mailman-Users] New mailing list moderation in cPanel ?

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Sat Jan 30 07:25:04 CET 2010

John Fitzsimons writes:

 > "Post by non-member to a members-only list"
 >
 > I hadn't expected that message as I was sure that the person who
 > posted was already a member.

The person may have been, but she may have been posting from a
different address.

 > Looks like she was a bit fast in posting.

That's the most likely reason, I guess.  But for future reference,
remember that Mailman 2 has no notion of "member", only "subscribed
address".  Mailman 3 will surely have some way for members to specify
alternative addresses.

And possibly, some way to guess certain variants.  Eg, if
"turnbull at sk.domain.tld" is subscribed, then
"turnbull at shako.sk.domain.tld" probably is the same person.  But
Mailman 2 doesn't have it.

I chose that example (real but obfuscated) for a reason.
Specifically, the second variant is today used only by spammers; I
haven't sent a message with that "From" since 1995, and I doubt it's
been used as "Sender" more than a very small handful of times since
2000.  So this would have to be an aid to moderators/list owners, not
something one automates.

(I've reported this as a feature request:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/mailman/+bug/514625.)