[Mailman-Users] Mailman bounce counters and delivery of spam

Albert ARIBAUD albert.aribaud at free.fr
Sun Jan 31 02:23:32 CET 2010

Hi all,

I am subscribed to a list managed by... mailman. :)

 From time to time, spam makes it to the list and is thus distributed to
list members. When this happens and the spam is delivered to my provider
(free.fr), this provider rejects it by a "550 Spam detected" message --
which is fine because I don't receive the spam.

But then mailman receives this 550 and erroneously concludes that
something is wrong with my address, and increments my bounce counter.

When spam comes in a "burst" (in practice that means one spam every two
days for ten days) it triggers confirmation, and a "confirm ..."
message is sent to me (this is how I found out there was an issue).

I am a bit bothered by the fact that *I* am considered to have a problem
with e-mail delivery by this mailman when in fact the issue is mailman
delivering spam in the first place.

Of course, there's no way to make entirely sure spam doesn't end up on a
list.

But is there a way (besides patching and recompiling) to let mailman
know that 5xx (and possibly 4xx as well) rejects which mention spam
should not cause an increase of the bounce counter?

Thanks in advance!

Amicalement,
--
Albert.