[Mailman-Users] Umbrella List

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Jul 10 22:51:39 CEST 2010

Jeff Grossman wrote:

>I have two umbrella lists.  When a bounce gets received it doesn't do
>anything because the users are not subscribed to the umbrella list.  Is
>there a way for me to set the umbrella lists up so all bounce messages
>are forwarded to my e-mail so I can make sure the bad e-mail addresses
>get removed?

Are these traditional umbrella lists where the sub-lists are members of
the umbrella, or are they 'regular include lists'?

If the former, messages to the users should be coming from the
sub-lists and bounces should be handled correctly.

If the latter, the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/TIA9> which discusses
this method points out that bounce processing doesn't work for
sub-list members. As to what you can do about it, if you have access
to the list's aliases, and if the 'umbrella' lists have no members,
you can change the alias for the 'umbrella-bounces' list to deliver to
you (or to 'umbrella-owner') so you can handle the bounces manually.

The fact that the FAQ says "Note however, that currently (Mailman
2.1.12) bounce processing won't work in this case ..." would seem to
imply that I intended to make it work in some future release, and I
may yet do so.