[Mailman-Users] Spam - from where?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Jun 9 01:34:43 CEST 2010

Lindsay Haisley wrote:

>I'm also seeing this associated with other lists on the same server.
>Somehow my list server is being used as a kind of open relay, which is
>strictly denied by the mail server on which it rides.

Yes, your Mailman installation is generating "backscatter" by rejecting
posts and/or sending responses to administrative messages. You can
minimize this by holding or discarding posts rather than rejecting
them AND setting respond_to_post_requests to No. You can also remove
aliases for the list-request addresses and maybe others, although all
these are extreme measures that affect the useability of your lists.

We are trying to address this in future releases by at least, perhaps
by site option, not including original messages in various replies so
at least the spam itself doesn't get reflected.