[Mailman-Users] how do I access the unsubscribe email addresses?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Jun 13 16:15:33 CEST 2010

Dan Sherbondy wrote:

>Where are unsubscribe email addresses stored? also, same with the
>bounced email addresses. Where are they?

No mail to any Mailman addresses is "stored" in the conventional sense.

For an MTA that uses aliases, each list has a set of aliases like

list:             "|/path/to/mailman/mail/mailman post list"
list-admin:       "|/path/to/mailman/mail/mailman admin list"
list-bounces:     "|/path/to/mailman/mail/mailman bounces list"
list-confirm:     "|/path/to/mailman/mail/mailman confirm list"
list-join:        "|/path/to/mailman/mail/mailman join list"
list-leave:       "|/path/to/mailman/mail/mailman leave list"
list-owner:       "|/path/to/mailman/mail/mailman owner list"
list-request:     "|/path/to/mailman/mail/mailman request list"
list-subscribe:   "|/path/to/mailman/mail/mailman subscribe list"
list-unsubscribe: "|/path/to/mailman/mail/mailman unsubscribe list"

Which causes the mail to be piped to the mail/mailman wrapper and
processed by the appropriate (post, admin, bounces, etc.) script. The
script in turn queues the message for further processing. For example,
posts and -owner mail is queued in Mailman's in/ queue for processing
by IncomingRunner; -admin and -bounces mail is queued in Mailman's
bounces/ queue for processing by BounceRunner, and -join, -leave,
-subscribe, -unsubscribe, -confirm and -request mail is queued in
Mailman's commands/ queue for processing by CommandRunner.

Some MTAs do this programmatically instead of with aliases, but the
result is the same.