[Mailman-Users] Mail server integration question - Solution

Cornelius Romein cornelius.romein at gmail.com
Wed Jun 23 04:00:39 CEST 2010

*Updated* instructions are below:

On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 11:50 PM, Cornelius Romein wrote:

>  I recently subscribed to the above list and found this question about
> mail server integration.  There didn’t seem to be an answer for it, so I
> hope this helps.
>

> It is possible to integrate an email server running Exchange 2003 with a
> second email server running Mailman.
>

> For convenience , the servers will be referred to as exchange.server.comand
> mailman.server.com (substitute your own as required)
>

> Mailman.server.com is taken to run Linux/Unix
>

> These are the steps that made it work for me.
>

> Update your MX records to read
>
> server.com      MX preference = 0, mail exchanger = exchange.server.com
>
> server.com      MX preference = 10, mail exchanger = mailman.server.com
>

> You need a secondary (i.e. mailman.server.com) MX record to make this
> work.
>

> Open up the Exchange Systems Manager and go to  Administrative Groups/First
> Administrative Group/Servers/ServerName/Protocols/SMTP/Default SMTP Virtual
> Server
>
> Right-click and select Properties.
>
> (left)-click on the Messages tab and enter mailman.server.com where it
> says: ‘Forward all mail with unresolved recipients to host’
>
> Click ok.
>

> If you have configured your Exchange Server to send a copy of Non-Delivery
> Reports to the Administrator email address, you need to setup an
> administrator at server.com address on mailman.server.com as well and make
> this the default address for any emails that couldn’t be delivered (i.e.
> those causing an NDR).
>
> In the Exchange Systems Manager, go to Administrative Groups/First
> Administrative Group/Routing Group/first routing group/connectors/POP3
> Connector Manager  and right-click again to access its properties, type
> mailman.server.com as the email server and fill in the username (i.e.
> Administrator) and password as required. The Exchange Mailbox should be
> Administrator.
>
> Click on the Scheduling tab and create a schedule as appropriate.  The
> minimum is always every 15 minutes, but you can create a custom schedule to
> download the emails at different rates during the course of the day.

 *Begin Update*:

In addition you need to create the same e-mail boxes on
mailman.server.comas you have on
exchange.server.com and schedule downloads via the POP3 Connector Manager as
well.  This is because any messages sent by MailMan are sent via
mailman.server.com and hence any messages sent by it to user at server.com will
be handled locally and not go to exchange.server.com.  Although this problem
may, perhaps be avoided by setting the 'host name this list prefers' (under
general options) specifically to exchange.server.com., although I haven't
tried this yet.  If you did you would need to amend Default SMTP Virtual
Server Properties/Access/Relay to allow access from mailman.server.com's ip
address.

*End Update*