[Mailman-Users] Mail server integration question - Solution

Adam McGreggor adam-mailman at amyl.org.uk
Wed Jun 23 12:47:38 CEST 2010

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 12:00:39PM +1000, Cornelius Romein wrote:
> *Updated* instructions are below:
> On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 11:50 PM, Cornelius Romein wrote:
> >  I recently subscribed to the above list and found this question about
> > mail server integration.  There didn’t seem to be an answer for it, so I
> > hope this helps.

There have been a few posts about this sort of thing. The approach
you're using, does appear to be a slightly "novel" approach to this,
and not one *I* would deploy, for a variety of reasons.

> > It is possible to integrate an email server running Exchange 2003 with a
> > second email server running Mailman.

Indeed.

> > For convenience , the servers will be referred to as exchange.server.comand
> > mailman.server.com (substitute your own as required)

example.(com|net|org), q.v. RFC 2606 (unless, of course, you mean
'server.com').

> > These are the steps that made it work for me.
> > Update your MX records to read
> > server.com      MX preference = 0, mail exchanger = exchange.server.com
> > server.com      MX preference = 10, mail exchanger = mailman.server.com

That's one of the bits that fills me with dread (for a variety of
reasons), assuming I'm not missing something, and my reading that as
                IN      MX  0   exchange
                IN      MX  10  mailman

    (in standard zonefile notation)
is correct.

FWIW, my approach in the past has always been to set-up Mailman as
lists.example.org, and then use genaliases, awk/sed/perl, and a text
file to forward 'domain' mail to 'list mail'.

e.g., were <list-example at lists.example.org> to exist (as a list), at
the Exchange end, I'd forward <list-example at example.org> to
<list-example at lists.example.org>, along with the various suffices.

I did once work a way to script this (at Exchange) -- it involved a
CSV file -- so it's not too difficult/cumbersome -- although a bit of
a nuisance when adding new lists: it's something else to do.

This also assumes that typing "lists." is too much effort for your
users, or that maintaining a (lists) GAL is not something you want to
do.

--
``Whether intentionally or not, fish control and potato control were billeted
  together in St. John's College, Oxford, making this ancient seat of higher