[Mailman-Users] Mailman, Postfix and Google Apps

Ivan Van Laningham ivanlan9 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 29 00:07:51 CEST 2010

Yup.  I'm looking at the expanded version of this thread, and the message
before your reply and after Terri Oda's is mine.  It appears as "Ivan Van
Laningham to mailman-users", with my name in yellow (arbitrary color: yours
is red, Terri's is purple, Cameron's is green).

Now, gmail may, behind the scenes, insert a link to the sent folder, but
from a user's perspective it looks exactly like any other message in the
thread, except that to the left of my name is a very small (i.e., 8x8
pixels) light grey round icon with a white x in it.  I don't want to push it
in case it tells gmail "Delete the entire thread this is associated with."
;-)

Metta,
Ivan

On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 3:56 PM, Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> wrote:

> Ivan Van Laningham wrote:
> >
> >Not quite.  The message is there, and is listed in the thread, but you'd
> >never know it because gmail doesn't consider it a new message.
>

> This is what Google says, but my tests show it is not true. Are you
> sure you're just not seeing the original message in the Sent folder?
>
> My tests show that if an incoming message to gmail has the same
> message-id as a message already in your Sent folder, the incoming
> message is just discarded.
>
> For example, if the list adds a footer to your post, do you ever see
> the footer in any message you can find in Gmail. I don't.
>
> --

Ivan Van Laningham
God N Locomotive Works
http://www.pauahtun.org/
http://www.python.org/workshops/1998-11/proceedings/papers/laningham/laningham.html
Army Signal Corps:  Cu Chi, Class of '70
Author:  Teach Yourself Python in 24 Hours