[Mailman-Users] Broken Attachment Links - How do I fix?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Jun 30 16:08:59 CEST 2010

Odhiambo Washington wrote:

>I have several mailing lists hosted on a server. I basically moved these
>lists from one server to the other by tarring up mailman/ from /usr/local,
>and untarring up to /usr/local on the destination server once I had
>configured the MTA properly.
>For each list, I did:
>
>./withlist -l -r fix_url LISTNAME -v -u DEFAULT_URL_HOST
>
>However, I seem to still have a problem, and I think this has got something
>to do with changing the configuration to have the archives being public,
>when initially they were private.
>
>Without mangling any names, I have the following:
>
>http://lists.kictanet.or.ke/pipermail/kictanet/2005-April/000017.html
>
><http://lists.kictanet.or.ke/pipermail/kictanet/2005-April/000017.html>When
>you go down that page, you find the url for the attachment. It has the wrong
>DEFAULT_URL_HOST. It should be lists.kictanet.or.ke instead of
>kictanet.or.ke. The listname in question is "kictanet".
>The file that contains this attachment is available in the server
>as /usr/local/mailman/archives/private/kictanet.mbox/*kictanet.mbox*
>However, when I go
>to /usr/local/mailman/archives/private/kictanet/attachments/ no attachments
>are available for some dates since the list was created. I did not delete
>any files so I believe there is a way to generate these from kictanet.mbox,
>somehow, yes?
>
>What exactly should I do to fix the broken link and the missing attachment
>directories?

The archive pages are static pages. Thus, when you tarred up Mailman
and moved it, you brought over incorrect links to scrubbed attachments.

To fix this, rebuild the entire archive for a list with, e.g.

  bin/arch --wipe kictanet

(see bin/arch --help). This will recreate the entire pipermail archive
from the
/usr/local/mailman/archives/private/kictanet.mbox/kictanet.mbox file.

This is why I generally recommend when moving archives to a new host to
move only the archives/private/listname.mbox/listname.mbox and to
recreate archives/private/listname/* with bin/arch rather than moving
it.