[Mailman-Users] Fwd: Welcome to the "It" mailing list

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Jun 30 16:24:45 CEST 2010

john morrissey wrote:

>> I was wondering if you could help me with my mac snow leopard server
>> running mac mail.
>>
>> I want to use email groups and I have hundreds of people. So I
>> created a email called called "IT"
>>
>> See below what I get in the email body. Then the 2 images here what
>> I get back in email.
>>

>> MY GOAL:
>> Is when I create a group email and add people I do not want all
>> users receiving the below email or the screenshots displayed below.
>>
>> HOW CAN I STOP THAT?
>>
>> THIS IS WHAT I GET IN THE INBOX
>>

>From an off list post, this is a screen shot showing three messages

a list welcome message
a list unsubscribe message
an owner notice of a held post

The notice of held post is sent only to the list owner (you), not to
list members. See below for the others.

>> THIS IS WHAT THEY GET ON THE SECOND EMAIL.
>>

>> John Morrissey
>> IT Manager
>> Algenol Biofuels Inc.
>> (239) 498-2000
>> (239) 948-4996 (fax)
>>
>> CONFIDENTIAL: This e-mail contains proprietary business information
>> and is not for public dissemination.
>>
>> Begin forwarded message:
>>
>>> From: it-request at ns1.algenolbiofuels.com
>>> Date: June 29, 2010 11:27:54 PM EDT
>>> To: john.morrissey at algenolbiofuels.com
>>
>> THIS IS THE FIRST EMAIL THEY GET.......WANT IT STOPPED AND NOT TO
>> HAPPEN.

On the list's General Options page (Mailman's admin GUI, not Apple's),
set send_welcome_msg to No.

This may or may not be sufficient depending on exactly how members are
added. For example, the admin Membership Management... -> Mass
Subscription page has its own radio button for this, but it defaults
to the list setting.

The setting for the unsubscribe notice is send_goodbye_message, also on
the General Options page.