[Mailman-Users] Changing host names, revisited... POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue May 4 19:25:16 CEST 2010

Tanstaafl wrote:

>On 2010-05-03 6:24 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>
>> So it appears that example.com is a virtual_mailbox_domain. So what's
>> in virtual_mailbox_maps (mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_vmm.cf)? Does
>>
>> postmap -s mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_vmm.cf
>>
>> work?
>
>No :( is it supposed to?
>
># postmap -s mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_vmm.cf
>postmap: fatal: mysql table /etc/postfix/mysql_vmm.cf: sequence
>operation is not supported

No, it's not supposed to work, but I didn't know. I don't have any
mysql tables. The docs say that -s only works with some database
types, but doesnt say which ones, so I suspected it wouldn't work, but
didn't know for sure.

># postmap -q listname at example.com mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_vam.cf
>listname at myhost.example.com
>
>which then maps to
>
># postmap -q listname at myhost.example.com
>hash:/var/lib/mailman/data/virtual-mailman
>listname
>
>and /var/lib/mailman/data/virtual-mailman is fully populated with these
>STANZA's for all lists:
>
># STANZA START: listname
># CREATED: Wed Jan 11 18:32:22 2006
>listname at myhost.example.com              listname
>etc...
>
>But this kind of seems backwards to me... or at least, more complicated
>than it needs to be. Maybe I initially wanted a virtual setup, but now
>realize I only need lists for the one/main domain? <shrug>

Here's how it looks to me. It was initially set up with email domain
myhost.example.com and that is all fine. It all works as it should.
You then decided that you wanted to be able to post to
listname at example.com so you added a virtual_alias_mapping in
mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_vam.cf to map listname at example.com to
listname at myhost.example.com where it would be further mapped to local
listname via Mailman's hash:/var/lib/mailman/data/virtual-mailman

The only problem with this is the listname listinfo page, list welcome
messages, etc all say post to listname at myhost.example.com

>Anyway, now I guess I just need to know if there's anything broken that
>I really need to fix, or at least if it can be simplified. I'm also
>thinking long term, for when MM3 is released and upgrade time comes.

You can continue to do what you're doing and just change
myhost at example.com to lists.example.com, but that means you have to
manually maintain the particular mappings from listname at example.com to
listname at lists.example.com.

It would be better to just have the email domain as example.com and have

POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = ['example.com']

so mailman creates the virtual-mailman. Then it appears that since
mapping listname at example.com to listname at myhost.example.com in the
current mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_vam.cf works, you could just remove
those mappings from mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_vam.cf and let the
mappings in virtual-mailman do the job.

However, read the FAQ  at <http://wiki.list.org/x/ZoCj> which I just
wrote yesterday. Now I'm not sure whether that is even necessary.
Clearly my understanding of Postfix is not complete. In your setup, is
example.com a virtual_mailbox_domain (listed in
mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_vmd.cf)?