[Mailman-Users] This should not have happened

Lindsay Haisley fmouse at fmp.com
Sun May 9 01:49:04 CEST 2010

On Sat, 2010-05-08 at 16:38 -0700, Mark Sapiro wrote:

> The patch will be in the 2.1 branch in Launchpad within a few days if
> not sooner, but it is also attached to this mail as Approve.patch.txt.
> It will be released in 2.1.14.

Thanks!!

> T-bird supports this. Go to Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> Config
> Editor and set mail.compose.other.header. In my case, I have
> Approved,Urgent which gives me the both Approved: and Urgent: header
> choices in addition to the standard To:, Cc:, Bcc:, Reply-To:,
> Newsgroup: and Followup-To: in the composition window.

This is good to know!  List hosting clients of FMP predominantly use
gmail or MSOE, and we have a few Mac users.

> One thing you could try is bookmarking a link like
>
>   mailto:mylist at example.com?approved=password
>
> which should work, but those clients I've tried it with ignore it.

Yep!  I don't think it's supported by mail standards.

> If putting in a real header is not practical, there's always post
> approving the post via the web UI.

Yes, this works.

The other alternative, of course, is for them to un-moderate the list
posters who have the authority to post to their distribution list and
not use a header or pseudo-header at all.  None of the lists I host are
high-security lists, nor are they exposed to the degree that they're
likely to be exploited by spammers.

In this particular case, I informed my customer that she had put a
double-space in her pseudo-header and cautioned her to be careful about
this going forward.  She's been operating her list successfully for the
better part of a year, and I really don't want to have her change the
way she works with it.  It was hard enough getting her up to speed with
it in the first place.

--
Lindsay Haisley       | "Everything works if you let it"
FMP Computer Services |   (The Roadie)