[Mailman-Users] Changing host names, revisited... POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun May 9 23:29:41 CEST 2010

Tanstaafl wrote:

>It went smooth as silk and everything is running fine, but I have one
>minor question.

Thanks for the report.

>My question is about line #5 above:
>
>5. May  9 16:39:35 myhost postfix/local[21525]: AE6D7621142:
>to=<listname at smtp.example.com>, orig_to=<ListName at Example.com>,
>relay=local, delay=0.24, delays=0.03/0.01/0/0.2, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent
>(delivered to command: /usr/lib64/mailman/mail/mailman post listname)
>
>Why is it listname at smtp.example.com instead of listname at lists.example.com?
>
>smtp.example.com is the postfix hostname, so I'm sure that's where it's
>coming from, and it isn't a big deal, but for some reason I thought that
>it would use the URL subdomain? No worries if it isn't trivial to change
>this so it uses lists.example.com, but thats what I'd prefer...

Postfix knows nothing about your Mailman configuration.

The virtual mapping in data/virtual-mailman has the entry

listname at example.com   listname

which maps listname at example.com to the local name listname which in
turn is aliased to "|/usr/lib64/mailman/mail/mailman post listname".

listname is a local name and Postfix appends the name of the local host
(myhostname) for the log message.

I think you could change it by doing both of the following:

Make sure lists.example.com is in Postfix mydestination so postfix
thinks it's a local domain.

Patch Mailman/MTA/Postfix.py so it appends '@lists.example.com' to all
the virtual mappings so instead of

listname at example.com   listname
etc.

in virtual-mailman, you have

listname at example.com   listname at lists.example.com
etc.

Note that I have never done exactly this, so I'm not totally certain it
will do what you want, but I think it will. I also think it probably
isn't worth maintaining a non-standard patch to do it, but only you
can answer that for yourself.