[Mailman-Users] Mailman server consuming entire Internet pipe (dual T1)

Scott Race scott at 916networks.com
Wed Nov 24 19:55:29 CET 2010

Was scrolling through the maillog just now, nothing out of the ordinary other than list traffic that I can tell.

So no, all inbound mail comes to the Barracuda, gets cleaned and sent to the Mailman server.  Each day about 600 inbound junk mails get blocked and around 50 legit emails.  It is hosting just lists only, no other inbound or outbound mail.  Outbound does get sent directly out the Postfix and is not sent through any smart host.

Good question on the verifying recipients - not quite sure the exact answer - I think the mailman server is processing bounces because I'll see bounced emails in the log to "johnsmith at lists.mydomain.com does not exist".  So invalid recipients do seem to hit the Mailman server.  Maybe filtering recipients at the Barrcuda could help?

On the note of the traffic - today everything is fine.  Not sure why for 5 days it was consuming the pipe, but have not found any indication of an open relay or malicious intent.  We did throttle back the simulaneous connections, maybe that will help a bit.

My Postfix maillog shows a ton of these:

(lost connection with spool.santarosa.org[216.222.240.7] while sending end of data -- message may be sent more than once)

and

(conversation with mail.laguna-hills.ca.us[68.203.215.26] timed out while sending end of data -- message may be sent more than once)

 11,968 matches of (lost connection) and 9202 matches of (conversation with) in a log file covering 4 days (Nov 21 01:18 - Nov 24 9:07).

One thing that did change was the internal DNS servers on the network, I almost have to assume it has to do with that.....