[Mailman-Users] Mailman server consuming entire Internet pipe (dualT1)

Scott Race scott at 916networks.com
Wed Nov 24 20:16:35 CET 2010

Thanks for the reply.

So it sounds like my iptables rule:

iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 25 -j REJECT

also blocks outbound mail too.  Is there a preferred way to secure mailman SMTP traffic with iptables?  In our case, we would just need an inbound filter that only accepts mail from a few hosts, I thought this would do it, but mailman wouldn't send mail with rules like this:

# accept mail from two hosts, drop the rest
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -s 192.168.1.245 --dport 25 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -s 192.168.1.246 --dport 25 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 25 -j REJECT

For the queues - I guess it's fine today - still reviewing the logs, and I will use those bin utilities to see the messages, that will be helpful...thanks!!

Scott