[Mailman-Users] unknown user: "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post mylist at mydomain.com"

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Nov 27 06:33:51 CET 2010

On 11/26/2010 8:20 PM, Gustavo Delfino wrote:
> My data/virtual-mailman file was incomplete but now –after following all the steps that you recommended me– it is complete but I still get the "unknown user: error. I even tried deactivating SpamAssessin but it didn't solved the issue.

[...]
> Nov 26 23:40:51 admin postfix/virtual[13990]: 81B0E2FA801F: to=<testlist5 at gdsolutions.com.ve>, relay=virtual, delay=0.02, delays=0.01/0.01/0/0.01, dsn=5.1.1, status=bounced (unknown user: "testlist5 at gdsolutions.com.ve")
[...]
> Any other idea?

I do not understand the above message. It says that Postfix's virtual
delivery module can't find the address testlist5 at gdsolutions.com.ve, but
the virtual_alias_maps in data/virtual-mailman map that address to the
local address testlist5, so I don't understand the problem.

One thing you can try is to put

VIRTUAL_MAILMAN_LOCAL_DOMAIN = 'admin.gdsolutions.com.ve'

in mm_cfg.py and then rerun

/usr/local/mailman/bin/genaliases

This will create virtual-mailman entries like

testlist5 at gdsolutions.com.ve    testlist5 at admin.gdsolutions.com.ve

which really shouldn't make any difference, but since
admin.gdsolutions.com.ve is in mydestination, it will explicitly map the
testlist5 at gdsolutions.com.ve address to a local domain.

Another possibility is that there is something in the virtual mailbox
maps /etc/postfix/vmailbox that is somehow interfering with the virtual
alias maps for the list.