[Mailman-Users] Mailman 2.1.12 can't accept email fromThunerbird3.1.4 help!

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Oct 1 08:33:15 CEST 2010

wilby wrote:

>> The message is sent back to me (and only to me).
>> It starts with the rejection message under "privacy Options", "rejection
>> to moderated members".
>>
>> Then it presents me with a .eml file that contains me original message to
>> MM.
>>
>> At the end is an attachment of my original email.
>>
>> The text in the open .eml file clearly shows a blank space just before the
>> approve: pw line.
>>
>>  approve: pw    rather than
>> approve: pw
>>
>> The original message does not get in the archive.

So you are relying on pre-approving the post, and since it is not
properly pre-approved (T-Bird's fault somehow) it is rejected,
presumably per your list settings.

>> I tried a message with the approve: pw on the second line, leaving the
>> first line blank. This did ge in the archive, but didn't get sent.

If it got to the archive, it reached the list and should have been
sent. The only reason it wouldn't have been sent is an error in
outgoing message processing or OutgoingRunner not running. If other
mail is being sent from Mailman, the problem is not that
OutgoingRunner is not running, so it would have to be an exception in
outgoing message processing which can only be diagnosed with
information from Mailman's error log.

One thing you can do is set T-Bird to allow you to add the Approved: pw
as an actual header. To do this, in T-Bird go to Tools -> Options ->
Advanced -> Config Editor and set mail.compose.other.header to the
string "Approved" (or "Approve" if you prefer) without the quotes.
Then, when composing a message, the button that sets To:, Cc:, Bcc:,
etc for an address will have an Approved: choice and you can chose
Approved and enter the pw on that line.

Beyond that, this is a T-Bird issue, and I don't know how to fix it
except that I use T-Bird 3.1.4 sometimes, and I have used most prior
versions of T-Bird, and I can't recall ever seeing T-Bird "space
stuff" the first line of a message. Do you have any plug-ins that
might be doing this?