[Mailman-Users] Mailman 2.1.12 can't accept email fromThunerbird3.1.4 help!

wilby joab at inbox.com
Fri Oct 1 21:27:22 CEST 2010

Mark Sapiro-3 wrote:

> wilby wrote:
>>>
>>> The message is sent back to me (and only to me).
>>> It starts with the rejection message under "privacy Options", "rejection
>>> to moderated members".
>>>
>>> Then it presents me with a .eml file that contains me original message
>>> MM.
>>>
>>> At the end is an attachment of my original email.
>>>
>>> The text in the open .eml file clearly shows a blank space just before
>>> the
>>> approve: pw line.
>>>
>>>  approve: pw    rather than
>>> approve: pw
>>>
>>> The original message does not get in the archive.
>

> So you are relying on pre-approving the post, and since it is not
> properly pre-approved (T-Bird's fault somehow) it is rejected,
> presumably per your list settings.
>

>>> I tried a message with the approve: pw on the second line, leaving the
>>> first line blank. This did ge in the archive, but didn't get sent.
>

> If it got to the archive, it reached the list and should have been
> sent. The only reason it wouldn't have been sent is an error in
> outgoing message processing or OutgoingRunner not running. If other
> mail is being sent from Mailman, the problem is not that
> OutgoingRunner is not running, so it would have to be an exception in
> outgoing message processing which can only be diagnosed with
> information from Mailman's error log.
>
> One thing you can do is set T-Bird to allow you to add the Approved: pw
> as an actual header. To do this, in T-Bird go to Tools -> Options ->
> Advanced -> Config Editor and set mail.compose.other.header to the
> string "Approved" (or "Approve" if you prefer) without the quotes.
> Then, when composing a message, the button that sets To:, Cc:, Bcc:,
> etc for an address will have an Approved: choice and you can chose
> Approved and enter the pw on that line.
>
> Beyond that, this is a T-Bird issue, and I don't know how to fix it
> except that I use T-Bird 3.1.4 sometimes, and I have used most prior
> versions of T-Bird, and I can't recall ever seeing T-Bird "space
> stuff" the first line of a message. Do you have any plug-ins that
> might be doing this?
>
> --

Hi Mark:

Thank you for this information, I'd probably never would have figured this
out myself.
Your suggestion to add an "Approved" option in the header is exactly the
solution to my problem. It worked the very first time I tried it. If it was
later in the day I'd probably be sipping a cool beer.

Peace,

Wilby

PS: A T-Bird forum user told me that the next TB version, 3.1.5, has fixed
this leading blank space issue. Now I don't really care if they have or not.