[Mailman-Users] mailman 2.1.14 new features

Barry Finkel b19141 at anl.gov
Thu Oct 21 21:18:44 CEST 2010

Barry Warsaw <barry at list.org> replied:
>Sadly, I do not either, but I am willing to help anyone who steps
>forward to do so.
>
>-Barry

As I have posted before, I looked at the Debian packaging for
Mailman, and I found there are lots of patches (most undocumented
as to what they do).  There was one patch that removed a library
that may be needed.  And one security of three I researched had
different code in Debian/Ubuntu than in SourceForge.  I assume that
the Debian/Ubuntu patch that differed fixed the security problem,
but I can not be sure.  After following the discussions on
mailman-users where users were running non-SourceForge code, I decided
that I had to take the SourceForge code and build a Mailman package.
It took me a while to discover exactly what to do, but once I did it
(IIRC for 2.1.9), I have had no trouble building packages for 10
through 14.  I can send my steps to anyone who wants them.  My Mailman
machines are still Ubuntu/dapper, but I assume that my steps would work
unchanged on any later release of Debian/Ubuntu.
Barry S. Finkel
Building 240, Room 5.B.8             Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov