[Mailman-Users] Frequent use of clone_member

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Fri Oct 22 06:12:30 CEST 2010

Ivan Fetch writes:

 > One possibility we're exploring, is to change a student's mailing
 > list subscriptions, when they change their forwarding address. We
 > would iterate through these address changes and run clone_member,
 > like:
 >
 > Clone_member --remove --admin  old at our.domain new at outside.domain

I can't really comment on the burden on the host, but ISTM that this
would be a substantial burden on the students.  They would have to
remember which account is their real account to make any changes, or
to post.  This might be non-trivial for students with multiple
mailboxes.

How about having the forwarding address setup update
accept_these_nonmembers, instead?

Also, what are you going to do about the old forwarding address?  It
seems likely that in many cases students will want to do things like
receive on their cellphone account but sometimes post from their home
ISP, etc.  Then they change back, creating a real muddle.  OTOH,
allowing dead or dormant accounts to post is a potential issue.