[Mailman-Users] Mailman mailing lists are gone!

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Oct 23 17:12:38 CEST 2010

Dale & Lora Marshall wrote:

>Using Mailman version: 2.1.12rc2
>
>For some reason all of my mailing lists are now disconnected from mailman.  There is data in /usr/local/mailman/lists, and also lots of data in the archives/private dir.  But when I try to go to the admin page on any list I get a "list does not exist" message.  I did a yum update the other day.
>
>What has happened and how do I fix it?

I haven't a clue?

What did you update with Yum?

Do you see any lists on the admin or listinfo overview pages?

What does /usr/local/mailman/bin/list_lists report?

>Second question:
>
>In my Apache logfile I'm getting the following warning:
>
>[Sat Oct 23 09:44:08 2010] [warn] The Alias directive in /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf at line 583 will probably never match because it overlaps an earlier Alias.
>[Sat Oct 23 09:44:08 2010] [warn] The ScriptAlias directive in /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf at line 584 will probably never match because it overlaps an earlier ScriptAlias.
>
>The two lines in question are:
>
>#
>#       MailMan Settings
>#
>Alias       /pipermail/  "/usr/local/mailman/archives/public/"
>ScriptAlias /mailman/    "/usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/"
>
>I don't remember seeing this before I did a yum update the other day.

Aha. Now I have a clue. The Yum update most likely installed a Mailman
package which is now being accessed by Apache and has no lists. There
is most likeley now a /etc/httpd/conf.d/mailman file containing "Alias
      /pipermail/" and "ScriptAlias /mailman/" directives pointing to
this new installation. Remove that file. Then you'll also have to
figure out if other things such as aliases or other MTA stuff were
clobbered by the Yum update. Possibly just doing "yum remove mailman"
will fix things as long as there are no other conflicts between the
package yum installed and your existing Mailman.