[Mailman-Users] Subscribed, received Welcome, but no articles.

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Sep 4 21:57:32 CEST 2010

StealthMonger wrote:

>Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> writes:
>
>> I don't have access to the MTA logs at mail.python.org, but even so, I
>> am certain that the mailman-users at python.org list has been sending
>> posts to your address.
>
>Could you please positively verify this with someone who does have
>access to the MTA logs?  I am pondering your mail to me, and don't yet
>have any other good ideas.

I will ask the Postmasters. I have also included you in this reply as a
Bcc: only so the list should send you a copy in spite of your nodupes
setting.

[...]
>> There is no reason that I can see or imagine why your address would be
>> singled out to not be sent posts from this or any other list if
>> delivery is enabled which it is.
>
>What I have imagined is that somewhere in the bowels of mailman record
>is kept of whether there has ever been a CAPTCHA-like verification of
>a subscriber, and that delivery is suppressed if not.  But my study so
>far of the source code reveals no such thing.

And there is no such thing. I can't speak for the other lists and what
mods they might have, but this list is standard GNU Mailman and the
only things that affect what messages you are sent are regular/digest
(you are set to regular), nomail (you are enabled), not metoo (don't
send copies of your own posts - not set in your case) and nodupes
(don't send copies of posts of which you are an explicit addressee).

There are no additional hidden settings, flags or switches.

>> I think it must be some filtering in the path from the list(s) to you
>> that is dropping the mail.
>
>I'll be intensifying my investigation of this possibility as a result
>of this mail from you, but I have to say I'm skeptical.

It seems unlikely, I admit, but I couldn't think of anything else.

>> The only thing I can even guess that might be causing this is
>> subject prefixing.  Does the list from which you receive posts have
>> a subject prefix of the form [listname]?
>
>Yes.  See below.
>
>> In case this is the problem, I will send another copy directly to you
>> without the [Mailman-Users] subject prefix.  It will be interesting to
>> see what you get.
>
>Got both of them.  diff shows no surprises.

And you should receive this via the Bcc, and I'll ask the Postmasters
to verify that a copy was sent from the list.