[Mailman-Users] mailman is very slow...

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Sep 27 05:39:48 CEST 2010

Troy Campbell wrote:

>Thanks Mark for the reply... what I meant by "bouncing" was
>"restarting"...sorry for the slang.  The emails I sent out to the list
>but it took about 3 hours.  There is nothing in the "out" directory
>right now but there are 187 ".pck" files in the "in" directory if that
>means anything and 7624 ".pck" files in the "archive" directory.
>
>I restarted mailman carefully to verify that all processes stopped.
>
>I'm not exactly sure what to look for in the smtp log, which is
>/var/log/maillog in my case.

Mailman's 'smtp' log is with Mailman's other logs in /var/log/mailman/,
but this is not the issue if you have no files in the out/ queue.

The large number of files in the in/ and archive/ queues indicates you
have a mail loop of some sort or you are the victim of a DOS attack.

Stop Mailman. Move those queues aside in their entirety (e.g. mv
/var/spool/mailman/in somewhere/else), and examine the messages with
bin/show_qfiles.

See if more /var/spool/mailman/in/ message files are created with
Mailman stopped (new posts will create them even with Mailman stopped)

Once you figure out what's going on, start Mailman.