[Mailman-Users] mailman is very slow...

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Sep 27 12:53:56 CEST 2010

Troy Campbell wrote:

>I've got a little more information.  I noticed that there was a lot of
>"deferred" postfix connections.  When I dumped out the deferred queue
>using "postqueue -p | more" and then looked an an individual using
>"postcat -q 677F0FE66" for example, then I see someone is trying over
>and over again to send an email to a non-existent list and then the list
>server is replying back and getting a "connection refused" and putting
>that on the "deferred" queue.  Is there an easy way to send the incoming
>request to the non-existent queue to /dev/null until I can get a hold of
>the admin of the server sending me this?  I'm tempted to create the list
>that they are trying to reach and then add a member translated to
>/dev/null in postfix but wondering if there might be even an easier way?

This is entirely a Postfix issue. If mail is sent to a non-existent
list, Postfix should refuse the mail at incoming SMTP time. You may
need

unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 550

in Postfix main.cf.

If any case, Mailman should not be involved no matter what, even if
Postfix is responding with a 450.

What is Postfix's method of delivery to Mailman? Why is mail for a
non-existent list being responded to at all?

>The "in" directory went empty soon after I created the "null" list (just
>didn't add any members)..didn't even have to stop mailman.

OK, but something is wrong as Mailman shouldn't be involved with mail
to a non-existent list any more than any non-existent user.

>I'm looking
>at the "archive" directory now trying to figure out why those files are
>there.  It looks like it's one list over and over (different one than
>what was generating the "deferred" above).  Is there anything to look at
>in particular in the message.  Why are they ending up here?

They are messages that have been posted to a list and are queued to be
added to the list's archive.

>Side note,
>it's kind of odd I can't get into the list through the Web interface
>using the site password but can see its contents using the command line.
>I wonder if the list is corrupt somehow and should be recreated?

The list may be locked. See the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/noA9>.

What happens for an attempted web access? What's in Mailman's 'error',
'qrunner' and 'locks' logs?