[Mailman-Users] Preventing from getting on spam list

Geoff Shang geoff at QuiteLikely.com
Tue Sep 28 17:50:16 CEST 2010

On Tue, 28 Sep 2010, Hung Phan wrote:

> We are a school district which sends out legitimate messages about
> school information to parents but last week, we were tagged by spamrats
> as spammer. An important message did not reach all the subscribers
> because the local ISP which hosts many of our parents' emails,
> subscribes to spamrats as one of the anti-spam source.

I don't know anything about Spamrats, but one of the ways this happens is
that some users are deciding to mark Email as spam when they no longer
want to receive it, instead of unsubscribing.  So it may even be a user of
this very ISP which has done this.

What I recommend doing is finding out if this ISP has some kind of a
feedback loop, where you can get notification of spam reports instead of
them being acted upon.  Spamrats might also have such a loop.

Unfortunately, to keep delivery alive to everyone, you've got to be on
everyone'se feedback loop, and some people have fairly stringent
requirements (e.g. Yahoo requires DKIM or SPF).

For more info, see
http://www.spamhaus.org/faq/answers.lasso?section=ISP%20Spam%20Issues

Geoff.