[Mailman-Users] accept_these_nonmembers @ notation

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Apr 11 21:30:13 CEST 2011

Lucio Chiappetti wrote:

>The help text for accept_these_nonmembers says
>
>Add member addresses one per line; start the line with a ^ character to
>designate a regular expression match. A line consisting of the @ character
>followed by a list name specifies another Mailman list in this
>installation, all of whose member addresses will be accepted for this
>list.
>[...]
>I cannot manage to have the @ notation working though.
>
>I am testing this with two lists, pseudoastro of which I'm the only
>member, and pseudotecno (with a colleague as member, and me as non
>member). Ideally I'd want to set up a list as template and then work for
>all others (we will have some 6 DISJOINCT lists with categories of our
>staff, we want to be able that members of each can post to any other [and
>in addition to set up some umbrella lists])
>
>Notation
>
>@pseudoastro
>@pseudotecno
>
>fails at web level entry (Error: Invalid value for variable:
>accept_these_nonmembers)
>
>Notation (with a blank between @ and list name)
>@ pseudoastro
>@ pseudotecno
>
>gives an entry in the error log
>
>  *_these_nonmembers in pseudotecno references non-existent list  pseudoastro
>  *_these_nonmembers in pseudotecno references non-existent list  pseudotecno

The first syntax without the space after the @ is the correct one. It
is being rejected because a list cannot reference itself in
*_these_nonmembers. You must put only '@pseudoastro' in
accept_these_nonmembers of the pseudotecno list and vice versa.

When you put a space following @, it is accepted with the space as part
of the list name, but then the list name is not found during
processing of a post and is logged as an error because ' pseudoastro'
and ' pseudotecno' are not lists.

[...]
>(and by the way ... are those checks to be considered effective as
>antispam measures ? do they just use the value of the header From field
>(which can be faked) or use info from the SMTP dialogue ?

The address used as the sender of the post for this test is determined
by the Mailman.Message.get_sender() method. This method searches three
places and returns the first address found. The default search order
is From: header, then Sender: header, then unix From_ which is the
envelope sender. All of these can be easily faked. If
USE_ENVELOPE_SENDER (not well named) is set to a true value in
mm_cfg.py, the order is changed to Sender: header, then From: header,
then unix From_.

If you want to actually prefer the envelope sender (SMTP time MAIL
FROM), you'd need to modify the definition of the method in
Mailman/Message.py, but there is little point as envelope sender can
be faked as easily as From: