[Mailman-Users] Bounce emails and Qmail

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Apr 27 17:48:10 CEST 2011

Mike Manning wrote:

>There's all the .qmail files in
>/var/qmail/mailnames/website/.qmail-listname-* and have this type of format:
>
>|/var/qmail/bin/preline /usr/lib/plesk-9.0/mm_wrapper
>/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman owner websitename
>
>If I try and send an email directly to website-owner at website.name, it'll
>bounce back straight away with:
>550 sorry, no mailbox here by that name. (#5.7.17)
>
>It's like qmail isn't passing control to mailman when doing recipient
>verification? Has anyone else had these issues with Plesk and Qmail?

The specific qmail alias you quote above looks wrong. I would expect
something more like

|/var/qmail/bin/preline /usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman owner websitename

or

|/var/qmail/bin/preline /usr/lib/plesk-9.0/mm_wrapper owner websitename

Look at the /var/qmail/mailnames/website/.qmail-listname file. The
/var/qmail/mailnames/website/.qmail-listname-owner file should have
exactly the same ownership and permissions and should have exactly the
same contents except where
/var/qmail/mailnames/website/.qmail-listname has 'post',
/var/qmail/mailnames/website/.qmail-listname-owner should have 'owner'
(and similarly for the other
/var/qmail/mailnames/website/.qmail-listname-* files).