[Mailman-Users] mailman on freeBSD 8.2: getgrgid error

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Aug 1 17:01:50 CEST 2011

Rekhesh Mohan wrote:

>AFAIK, src/common.c is checking the GID with getgid() followed by
>getgrgid(). Now, my machine uses blowfish instead of md5 for passwd.
>getgid() is returning 80 - which is fine since i have gid(www) = 80 on my
>system. However, getgrgid(gid) returns null :-|  I gave up my fight at
>that point and decided to ask for help :)

This appears to be a C library/OS issue that has nothing to do with
Mailman. getgrgid(gid) should return a struct group for the group
whose ID is gid. This structure should contain the information which
is a representation of the fields in the /etc/groups record for that
gid. If gid is valid, the return from getgrgid(gid) should not be null.

>I tried to figure out the behaviour of these functions with a small test
>code: getgrgid() returns gr_passwd = * for blowfish, and gr_passwd = x
>for md5. Is that an issue with mailman or am I making mistakes somewhere
>else in the installation?

Mailman only cares about getgrgid()->gr_name.