[Mailman-Users] User management via email?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Aug 10 16:40:41 CEST 2011

Chase, Edward wrote:

>Not exactly what I was hoping for unfortunately.  My user creation scripts are Powershell running in a Windows environment.  I was hoping to fire off an email to Mailman to subscribe the new user to the appropriate campus announcement list.  Maybe I'll get a bit creative and have the Powershell scripts create files to SCP over to the Mailman box and then use "add_members" via a cron job.

You can send an email subscribe command for an arbitrary address:

 subscribe [password] [digest|nodigest] [address=<address>]
     Subscribe to this mailing list.  Your password must be given to
     unsubscribe or change your options, but if you omit the
     password, one will be generated for you.  You may be
     periodically reminded of your password.

     The next argument may be either: `nodigest' or `digest' (no
     quotes!). If you wish to subscribe an address other than the
     address you sent this request from, you may specify
     `address=<address>' (no brackets around the email address, and
     no quotes!)

or just spoof the From: in an email to the list-subscribe address.

However, either of these methods will probably require confirmation by
the user or approval by the admin or both depending on the list's
subscribe_policy.

The wrapper idea that Glen suggests may be simpler than you realize.
See the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/uIA9> for a sample wrapper
designed to be called from a web server PHP or other script, but this
could be modified to work from an email piped to it via a .forward
file for example.