[Mailman-Users] Cannot to make work mailman correctly

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Aug 11 19:01:19 CEST 2011

On 8/9/2011 11:46 PM, James Brown wrote:
> I have a vds under Free-BSD-8.1-STABLE which I use for maintaining of
> public sites and etc.
> Under that vds I have a mailing system which consits from an exim-4.76
> which receives and sends emails to/from local mail users and
> dovecot-1.2.17 which lets get receiving post to email-clients.
> I want to set up the Mailman for maintaining post lists.
> Firstly, created subdomain 'list.somename.name' in my bind-settings. It
> works correctly.
> Then, after installing the Mailman from ports, I set up my Apache to
> work with it. My Apache wokrs correctly too.
> Then I checked and changed my exim configuration file and etc and tested
> list verification command with the next result:
>>  exim -bt news at list.somename.name
>> Address rewritten as: news at list.somename.name
>> news at list.somename.name
>>     <-- news at list.somename.name
>>     <-- news at list.somename.name
>>     <-- news at list.somename.name
>>   router = localuser, transport = local_delivery

For some reason, your 'mailman' router is not meeting all it's
conditions and Exim is proceeding to 'localuser'. Is your definition

MAILMAN_HOME=/usr/local/mailman

correct? I.e. are your lists in the directory /usr/local/mailman/lists?

> Further I created a site-wide mailing list and a mailing list as in
> described in /usr/local/share/doc/mailman/mailman-install.txt but it is
> not works well.
> It is possible to subscribe to list throwgh the web-form, it is possible
> to receive emails after that for subsribing confirmation to local email
> users which I tried to subsribe, is is possible to confirm subscription
> through the web but not through email

Because email to mailman doesn't work as above.

> and it is impossible to receive
> emails from list and to see the archive sending to list throupgh the web.

Presumably this is again because mail TO the list is not received by
Mailman.

> With accordance to the above I have some questions:
> 1) What I do wrong?

For some reason, Exim is not routing list mail per the 'mailman' router.
The only thing I see is that the "require_files =
MAILMAN_HOME/lists/$local_part/config.pck" is not satisfied, presumably
because MAILMAN_HOME is not defined to the correct path.

> 2) Where is I need to indicate aliases after creating the new list - in
> /etc/aliases (which is a symbolic link to /etc/mail/aliases in FreeBSD)
> or in /usr/local/etc/exim/aliases?

You don't need aliases.  List mail should be handled by the 'mailmen'
router and the 'mailman' transport.

> 3) Does it need to create in the /usr/local/etc/exim/passwd email-users
> such as maillistname at list.somename.name or not?

No.

> I don't read any about it in
> /usr/local/share/doc/mailman/mailman-install.txt and here
> http://www.exim.org/howto/mailman21.html and firstly I did not create 'em.
> I had the next exim logs that time:
>
>> H=mail.somename.name [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx] sender verify fail for <news-bounces at list.somename.name>: all relevant MX records point to non-existent hosts
>> H=mail.somename.name [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx] F=<news-bounces at list.somename.name> rejected RCPT <mailman-owner at list.somename.name>: Sender verify failed
>> H=mail.somename.name [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx] sender verify fail for <news-bounces at list.somename.name>: all relevant MX records point to non-existent hosts
>>  H=mail.somename.name [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx] F=<news-bounces at list.somename.name> rejected RCPT <adm at somename.name>: Sender verify failed
>> H=router45-readme.domainname1.net ([0.0.0.0]) [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx] F=<adm at somename.name> rejected RCPT <mailman-request at list.somename.name>: all relevant MX records point to non-existent hosts

The sender verify errors are a different issue. It appears that your
list domain (list.somename.name) is not in

domainlist local_domains = lsearch;/usr/local/etc/exim/domains

so is not considered a local domain.

> 4) If I need to create an email user for lists in
> /usr/local/etc/exim/passwd, how I can indicate to the Mailman its
> password for authentificaton? Or what I need to do instead?

You don't need local users for Mailman.

> 5) If I need to create an email user for lists in
> /usr/local/etc/exim/passwd, what is home directory of it I need to indicate?

You don't need this.

> As I think, I need to indicate one of the directories existing in
> /usr/local/mailman/archives, probably
> /usr/local/mailman/archives/public/nameoflist?
> I created public list named "news" through the web-form, but it was
> created the next symbolic link:
>> ls -l /usr/local/mailman/archives/public
>>> lrwxr-xr-x  1 mailman  mailman   news -> /usr/local/mailman/archives/private/news
> not a directory.

The symlink is correct.

> So I have the next too:
>> ls -l /usr/local/mailman/archives/private
>> total 8
>> drwxrwsr-x  2 root     mailman  512  mailman
>> drwxrwsr-x  2 root     mailman  512  mailman.mbox
>> drwxrwsr-x  2 mailman  mailman  512  news
>> drwxrwsr-x  2 mailman  mailman  512  news.mbox

This looks correct.

> When I tried to indicate it as the email user "news" home directory in
> /usr/local/etc/exim/passwd and when I tried to indicate
> /usr/local/mailman/archives/private/news or
> /usr/local/mailman/archives/private/news.mbox as it, after sending an
> email to the list I had the next exim logs:
>
>> 1Qqh5b-0001Qz-Kx == news at list.somename.name (news at list.somename.name, news at list.somename.name) <news at list.somename.name> R=localuser T=local_delivery defer (13): Permission denied: while creating mailbox /usr/local/mailman/archives/private/news.mbox/mbox
>>  1Qqh5b-0001Qz-Kx == news at list.somename.name (news at list.somename.name, news at list.somename.name) <news at list.somename.name> R=localuser T=local_delivery defer (-52): Retry time not yet reached

This is all because the mail is not using the 'mailman' router. Fix that
problem and everything should work.

> 6) As I use an email system for my usual needs consists from exim +
> dovecot, do I need to include the dovecot in working with my Mailman
> email list by any method?

No.