[Mailman-Users] Outgoing mail flow problem

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Aug 20 01:24:16 CEST 2011

Jack Barnes wrote:

>> *]# postconf -n *

[...]
>> *relayhost = [smtp.gmail.com]:587 *

The above tells Postfix to relay all non-local mail via smtp.gmail.com.
It appears that Postfix is configured to authenticate to
smtp.gmail.com (see below), but it seems that authentication is
failing so that server will only accept mail for its local users.

You could remove the above and let Postfix deliver directly to the
recipient MX servers, but presumably you don't want to do that.

[...]
>> *smtp_sasl_auth_enable = yes *
>>
>> *smtp_sasl_password_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/sasl_passwd *
>>
>> *smtp_sasl_security_options = noanonymous *

Here you may want

smtp_sasl_security_options = noanonymous, noplaintext

to prevent plaintext passwords being sent over unencrypted connections.

>> *smtp_sasl_tls_security_options = noanonymous *

The above smtp_sasl_* settings all look OK. Do you have an entry of the
form

[smtp.gmail.com]:587    valid_user:valid_password

in /etc/postfix/sasl_passwd and have you run postmap to update
/etc/postfix/sasl_passwd.db?

If so, I don't know what the problem is. Do you see any "SASL
authentication failure:" messages in the postfix log
(/var/log/maillog?).

Also, see <http://www.postfix.org/SASL_README.html#client_sasl>.