[Mailman-Users] Mail to different domains

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Aug 24 19:34:35 CEST 2011

Guvvala, Yugendra R wrote:

>I have installed mailman 2.1.13, Postfix, on UBUNTU 10.10,
>

>i did both the installations through apt-get, i am facing 2 issues right now.

When you install third party packages, your primary support resource
should be the packager. The packager knows what's in the package and
how it should be configured. We on mailman-users at python.org don't
always know these things.

>1) i can send mails to the users or add users who belong to the domain of our mailing list but we want o go across domains and also add people belonging to standard emails like Gmail, yahoo and also from other institutions. how can i do that.

Configure your Postfix to be able to send to foreign domains. In order
to tell you more, we'd need to know what is in the Postfix logs from
an attempt to mail to a foreign domain and possibly see the output
from "postconf -n".

>2) when ever i add a new list i get an email with list of aliases i need to add on the server and i tried to update /etc/aliases automatically using the procedure specified in the link below but was unsuccessful how to fix it.
>

>link : http://www.list.org/mailman-install/postfix-integration.html

Debian/Ubuntu packages often use postfix_to_mailman.py (yet another
third party module) to deliver to Mailman. Is this the case in your
configuration? If so, Add "MTA = None" to mm_cfg.py to stop getting
messages about aliases which aren't required.

If in fact you are using aliases for delivery to Mailman, what exactly
did you do. What changes did you make to mm_cfg.py and Postfix's
main.cf? What is now in mm_cfg.py? What is the output from "postconf
-n"? What exactly is "unsuccessful"? I.e., what happens when you try
to mail to a list? What does Postfix log?