[Mailman-Users] Changes to CookHeaders.py stop working for SOMElists!?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Dec 6 04:36:26 CET 2011

Drew Tenenholz wrote:

>OS: Red Hat Linux
>OS Version: RHEL 5.6
>MailTransfer Agent (MTA): postfix
>MTA Version: 2.3.3-2.1
>Mailman Version: 2.1.9 release 6.el5 (yikes!)
>
>Over a year ago, I added some code to CookHeaders.py to add a custom header of my choosing to all messages on all lists for this installation, and all was well.  Right now, some of the lists apply the custom header, and just a few (but more than one), do NOT.  I don't think that should even be possible, but it certainly is happening.
>
>Any ideas on how this could be happening and how to fix it?

What is your change to CookHeaders? I.e., I would need to see the exact
change to know whether it is somewhere that is conditionally executed
based on list settings.

Is either include_rfc2369_headers or include_list_post_header set to No
for the affected lists (those that don't apply the header)?

Do the affected lists have a lists/LISTNAME/extend.py file or a
'pipeline' attribute?

/usr/lib/mailman/bin/dumpdb /var/lib/mailman/lists/LISTNAME/config.pck \
| grep pipeline

>Additional information:  About a month ago, the custom header disappeared completely from everywhere, and when I looked at the files somehow CookHeaders.py had been reverted to an earlier state that did not contain my changes.

yum probably 'upgraded' Mailman.

>So, I overwrote that configuration with the backup of my version and ran /bin/restart.

Do you mean /usr/lib/mailman/bin/mailmanctl restart?

Everything worked just fine on ALL lists for a couple of weeks, and
then this strange problem came up.  I've checked CookHeaders.py, and
it contains the desired changes.  I've since run /bin/restart and
/bin/stop with /bin/start, but the problem persists.

If you don't mean 'mailmanctl {stop|start|restart}, what are these
things.

In any case, if you didn't restart Mailman after your changes, no lists
would have your change.