[Mailman-Users] Operating mailman across a mail gateway for inboundmail.

Oscar Hodgson oscar.hodgson at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 17:43:04 CET 2011

Mark, Grant ... thank you.

Duh.  mailertable on the mail gateway machine would be the solution,
eh?.  Haven't used that feature previously.  (Yea, this was really a
sendmail question from the outset ..).

So here's a bit more detail (names are changed).  We're a sub-domain
in the organization.  The mail gateway is mailhost.dept.example.com.

All machines in dept.example.com have MX records pointing to mailhost.
Client sendmail.mc files include "define(`SMART_HOST',
`mailhost$?m.$m$.') define(`MAIL_HUB', `mailhost$?m.$m$.')".

The intent is to run Mailman on 'mailman.dept.example.com'.  'mailman'
relays outbound through local sendmail with the standard client
sendmail.mc.  Web access to 'mailman' is available through the VPN.

Mailman lists should be addressable at the local sub-domain, such as
'userlist at dept.example.com'.  Getting mail from 'mailhost' to 'mailman'
was puzzling me ...

So I reckon the solution is that mailhost gets:

.. an alias entry (or perhaps a virtualusertable entry) that points
'userlist' to 'userlist at mailman.dept.example.com'.

... a mailertable entry of 'mailman.dept.example.com
smtp:mailman.dept.example.com'.

And the usual mailhost anti-spam stuff will still work (I think ..).

Thanks for your help.

Oscar.