[Mailman-Users] mimdefang and footers
Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu
m3freak at thesandhufamily.ca
Thu Dec 15 00:15:11 CET 2011
On Wed, 2011-12-14 at 17:24 -0500, Jonathan Kamens wrote:
> Fortunately for you I'm subscribed to this right now. I come and go. :-)
> My email address is in the script, so it probably would have been a good
> idea for you to contact me directly before emailing a bunch of people
> who don't know anything about it.
I thought about that, but I thought maybe enough people here had tried
it to help me out. You know, more eyes and all that. I also wasn't
sure if I'd get a reply from you. My bad!
> What you should have configured is a line containing nothing but
> "MAILMAN_MIMEDEFANG", followed by the actual footer text you want,
> followed by another line containing nothing but "MAILMAN_MIMEDEFANG".
> Is that what you have?
I did, yes. I wasn't quite sure what your original documentation meant,
but I reasoned you were saying to do what you said to do above.
Specifically, this is what I have:
A bunch of text
Let me back track a bit. When the attachment garbage started to be
reported, I looked into the issue. I found a bunch of posts on this
list, and random websites explaining what was going on. Eventually I
found your code. However, before I put in mimedefang and your solution,
I deleted the entire footer because I reasoned with no footer, Outlook
wouldn't get confused and show an attachment. Unfortunately, it didn't
work. Emails still had the attachment - enter confusion. That's when I
put in your solution. Which still didn't work - further confusion.
A few minutes ago I deleted the MAILMAN_MIMEDEFANG lines, but left
mimedefang running. Now Outlook users are reporting the attachment is
I've seen some warnings in the mail log about not being able to see the
mimedefang socket. I think it's because the /var/spool/MIMEDefang dir is
owned by the user "defang", and the postfix user has not rights to read
the contents within (i.e. 700).
I'm going to try running mimedefang under the postfix user. Maybe THIS
is the source of the problem with the "MAILMAN_MIMEDEFANG" lines showing
up in the footer. But, it still doesn't explain why removing the footer
altogether before I implemented your solution didn't work.
More information about the Mailman-Users