[Mailman-Users] Simple notification handler

Yves Moisan yves.moisan at boreal-is.com
Thu Dec 22 20:42:29 CET 2011

Hi Mark,

It seems the handler stops the list from working.  When I delete the new
pipeline the list works fine so it's the Python file (or the way I
included it in the pipeline ?) that has a problem.

I've tried including a she-bang line or not (see below for both the
handler and the text file used to shove it in the list pipeline),
importing Message in addition to UserNotification and a few other things
to no avail.  One thing I find odd is that the handler doesn't get a
.pyc file upon restart.  Should I expect that or does it get created the
first time it is invoked ?

I've copied the file over from a windows machine and I took care of
chowning it so it has the same permissions as the other Handlers.  The
file looks ok in vi.  What other options do I have before pdb ?

Thanx,

Yves Moisan

=== BackupErrors.py ===

#!/usr/bin/python # I also treid without, like in the other handlers on
my server
# BackupErrors.py
"""Add a list specific alert generator in case there was a problem in
the backup, in which case the Subject of the email will contain the word
'ERROR'
"""

import re
from Mailman import Utils
from Mailman.Message import UserNotification
# from Mailman.Message import Message,UserNotification
NTEXT = """Texte du corps du
message
TESTS.
"""
NRECIP = 'xyz at example.com'
NFROM = 'abc at example.com'
NSUBJ = 'Error in backup'

def process(mlist, msg, msgdata):
     subject = Utils.oneline(msg['subject'], 'us-ascii')
     if re.search('.*error.*', subject, re.IGNORECASE)
         nmsg = UserNotification(NRECIP, NFROM, NSUBJ, NTEXT)
         nmsg.send(mlist)

=== backupHandlerPipeline.txt ===

mlist.pipeline = [
     # These are the modules that do tasks common to all delivery paths.
     'SpamDetect',
     'Approve',
     'Replybot',
     'BackupErrors',
     'Moderate',
     'Hold',
     'MimeDel',
     'Scrubber',
     'Emergency',
     'Tagger',
     'CalcRecips',
     'AvoidDuplicates',
     'Cleanse',
     'CleanseDKIM',
     'CookHeaders',
     # And now we send the message to the digest mbox file, and to the
arch and
     # news queues.  Runners will provide further processing of the message,
     # specific to those delivery paths.
     'ToDigest',
     'ToArchive',
     'ToUsenet',
     # Now we'll do a few extra things specific to the member delivery
     # (outgoing) path, finally leaving the message in the outgoing queue.
     'AfterDelivery',
     'Acknowledge',
     'ToOutgoing',
     ]