[Mailman-Users] mailman and Ñ

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Feb 27 19:56:37 CET 2011

On 2/26/2011 12:59 PM, alexis at venenux.org wrote:
> Hello
>
> I happened to manage a mailing list of Spain. I want to use the name
> España as "real name" and as "subject prefix", but I don't know if the
> Spanish character "ñ" can cause problems. Can I do?

There is no problem with España as the subject_prefix.

For various reasons, a list's name is restricted. Since it must be the
local part of an email address and normally appears in the To: header of
posts, it must not contain non-ascii characters. Also, because in many
installations, it also appears in pipe commands in MTA aliases, it must
not contain shell metacharacters. By default, it is restricted to
characters from the class [-+_.=a-z0-9] although this can be overridden
in mm_cfg.py.

Since the list's real_name must differ from the actual list name only by
case, and españa is not an allowable list name, España is not allowable
as a list's real_name.