[Mailman-Users] Problem with Postfix/virtual setup, unknown user

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Jan 3 20:34:46 CET 2011

Jim Wright wrote:

>However, I cannot send email to this list without the mail being rejected back as being to an unknown user.
>
>Based on all of my reading, I think I've done everything correctly.  From my Postfix log, it doesn't appear that the aliases file is being consulted at all, but I am seeing a line indicating that the virtual-mailman file was referenced.

That is correct. Aliases are not consulted because the virtual mapping
in virtual-mailman is

test at wrightthisway.com              test

This maps 'test at wrightthisway.com' to 'test'. The unqualified address
'test' is assumed by Postfix to be qualified with $myorigin, which
defaults to $myhostname which is 'wrightthisway.com' which is a
virtual domain. Aliases only apply to local domains, i.e., those in
$mydestination.

[...]
>sh-3.2# postconf -n
>address_verify_sender = <>
>alias_database = hash:/etc/postfix/aliases, hash:/usr/local/mailman/data/aliases

The above should be in alias_maps, not alias_database. Fixing this may
solve your problem, but it I suspect it will not be sufficient.

>alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/aliases
[...]
>mydestination =

At a minimum, mydestination should include localhost.

>mydomain = wrightthisway.com
>myhostname = wrightthisway.com
[...]
>virtual_alias_maps = proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_alias_maps.cf, hash:/usr/local/mailman/data/virtual-mailman
[...]
>Jan  2 23:46:45 wrights-Mac-mini postfix/virtual[81790]: BBA681B43CF: to=<test at wrightthisway.com>, relay=virtual, delay=0.1, delays=0.08/0.01/0/0.02, dsn=5.1.1, status=bounced (unknown user: "test at wrightthisway.com")

In order for aliases to be consulted, delivery must be 'local' not
'virtual'

The solution in your case is to put
hash:/usr/local/mailman/data/aliases in alias_maps; add localhost to
mydestination and put

VIRTUAL_MAILMAN_LOCAL_DOMAIN = 'localhost'

in mm_cfg.py and run Mailman's bin/genaliases to create virtual-mailman
mappings like

test at wrightthisway.com              test at localhost