[Mailman-Users] Problem with Postfix/virtual setup, unknown user

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Jan 4 19:12:07 CET 2011

Jim Wright wrote:

>I did some new googling using postfixadmin and mailman, and came across this page: http://freemars.org/howto/mailman.html, this got me a lot closer, I just needed to track down the most recent postfix-to-mailman.py script, make the required edits for my site, and I have now successfully created and sent email to my test list.

While this may be an acceptable solution for you, you should be aware
that use of postfix_to_mailman.py will create the same issues for
non-list mail to the list domain that you had originally for list mail.

I.e. postfix_to_mailman.py is designed for situations where there is a
dedicated domain or domains for list mail only.

You can work around this by generating transport maps to map only list
addresses to the postfix_to_mailman.py (mailman) transport using the
method of the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/ZoCj> substituting
'mailman' for 'local'. But then you could also use aliases with this
method by specifying the local transport.