[Mailman-Users] How to change the confirmation message subject line?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Jan 14 20:24:07 CET 2011

ValiDOM wrote:

>Does anybody know how to change the wording/text of the subject lines
>in confirmation messages? I'd love to have something like "Please
>subscribe to our newsletter..." ;-)

If you only want to change the English message, find the message in the
definition of the GetConfirmJoinSubject method in the file
Mailman/MailList.py and edit it and restart Mailman. If you do this,
it will break other l10n of this message. E.g., In German, the
Subject: will be the edited English message, not the German
translation.

If you only want to change the translations of the message, e.g.
German, edit the file messages/de/LC_MESSAGES/mailman.po. Find

msgid "Your confirmation is required to join the %(listname)s mailing
list"
msgstr "Ihre Bestätigung ist nötig um die Liste %(listname)s zu
abonnieren."

in the file, edit the translation (msgstr) only, and rebuild the
mailman.mo file with Mailman's bin/msgfmt.py or the system msgfmt. Do
this for each changed translation.

If you want to change both the English and translated messages, edit
the English as above and then for each translation, add a new
msgid/msgstr pair with the edited English string as msgid and the
edited translation as msgstr to the end of the mailman.po file and
rebuild the mailman.mo as above.