[Mailman-Users] Advice on new install of Mailman to CentOS 5

Thu Jan 20 06:06:05 CET 2011

Hi,
I am looking at combining several hosting accounts into a single
Virtual Private Server. One of these is being used to support a couple
of mailing list running on Mailman 2.1.9 (I know that isn't current,
but that is what they give me). The new server will be running CentOS
5, with Plesk Parallels as a control panel (I am not afraid to get
down to the command line to do things, but also would claim to be an
expert at it either, and the control panel makes some routine tasks
easier).

The question comes in that the CentOS 5 distribution only has a RPM
for Mailman 2.1.9, instead of the recently released 2.1.14, so the
question comes do I use the RPM from the distribution and run a
version several years old, or is it better to install from a direct
download. I am working of a fresh install so I don't need to worry
about migrating existing list on the server, but I definitely want to
be able to import the existing lists from the old server. (And will
probably do at least one dry run of the migration to a different
domain name just to make sure I know how to do this and that things
work before moving the live site).

Richard Damon