[Mailman-Users] control mail distribution ..

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Jan 23 22:20:19 CET 2011

On 1/23/2011 12:33 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> Khalil Abbas wrote:
>
>> well this is much comforting, meaning that there is nothing to worry about
>> the configuration.. I turned on the "Should Mailman notify you, the list
>> owner, when bounces cause a member's subscription to be disabled?" to yes to
>> see what happens..
>>
>> but still this does not answer the main question, what causes the existing
>> real members to be unsubscribed? is it because hotmail and yahoo are
>> rejecting the mail flow that needs to be controlled?
>

> When you see some actual disabling bounce notifications, you will
> hopefully be able to answer that for yourself. Until then, I don't
> know what causes it.

I also looked more closely at the smtp log you sent earlier. There are a
huge number of mailman generated notices that originate from
BounceRunner. All lists appear affected. I think these are unrecognized
bounce notifications. I have suggested before that there may be a large
amount of spam being sent to the LIST-bounces addresses, but there may
also be a mail loop of some kind. I suggest that you make sure that each
list's (including the 'mailman' list) owner attribute contains only
deliverable addresses and that none of the LIST-* addresses are among
them. Similarly, if there are any moderator addresses, they must be
deliverable and must not include any LIST-* addresses and shouldn't
duplicate any owner addresses for the same list.

Also try sending an email to the LIST-owner addresses to verify such
mail is received.