[Mailman-Users] private lists with real name signatures

Doug Gaff doug.gaff at gmail.com
Sun Jan 23 23:51:36 CET 2011

(Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I recently switched to a VPS, and now finally have access to the mailman install.)

As mentioned in the old thread, I'd like add %(member_name) and %(member_address) as variables that can be used in the msg_header and msg_footer fields if desired by the list administrator. The idea is that messages sent to an anonymous mailing list could have msg_header set to this:

%(member_name) writes:

And in the subscription list, member_name would be the "handle" used by each person. This way, the email addresses stay anonymous, but the messages are still signed. Consider it "semi-anonymous". :)

I'm not totally getting the custom handler thing, and I need this only for one of the lists I host. Something the list admin could setup if desired. It seems like a handler would fire for everyone. A better solution, if a hack, would be to modify the mailman source code, but I could use some pointers on where to get started.

Thanks,

Doug