[Mailman-Users] control mail distribution ..

Khalil Abbas khillo100 at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 24 08:35:52 CET 2011

ah yes, these to list owner notices I guess are unsubscribe notices.. for I
turned on the "Should Mailman notify you, the list owner, when bounces cause
a member to be unsubscribed?" to yes.. I tried to send test messages to
these addresses, most of them are real subscribers that got kicked off and
received my test messages, and some returned back for different reasons like
mailbox full and mailbox has been closed and stuff like that ..

checking some random files in the /var/spool/mailman/bounces/*.pck I found :

******************
This is the qmail-send program at ______________.\nI\'m afraid I wasn\'t
able to deliver your message to the following addresses.\nThis is a
permanent error; I\'ve given up. Sorry it didn\'t work out.\n\n<___________
(hotmail.fr address) >:\nConnected to 65.54.188.110 but sender was
rejected.\nRemote host said: 421 RP-001 Unfortunately, some messages from
____________ weren\'t sent. Please try again. We have limits for how many
messages can be sent per hour and per day. You can also refer to
http://mail.live.com/mail/troubleshooting.aspx#errors.\nI\'m not going to
try again; this message has been in the queue too long.
******************

checking the error code 421 RP-001 on hotmail I found:

***************
The mail server IP connecting to Windows Live Hotmail server has exceeded
the rate limit allowed. Reason for rate limitation is related to IP/domain
reputation. If you are not an email/network admin please contact your
Email/Internet Service Provider for help.

so it is a rate limit no?

what can be done about this? it says something about ip/domain reputation,
is it my domain's reputation or my service provider's relay server's
reputation?

Thanks..