[Mailman-Users] List Membership Change

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Jan 24 18:43:30 CET 2011

McNutt Jr, William R wrote:
>Now - what I did was just copy the /lists/* from the old server to the new one and run
>./withlist -l -r fix_url LIST_NAME -u new-domain.example.org
>bin/arch mylist archives/private/mylist.mbox/mylist.mbox

Presumably, you also restored the archives/private/ directory. The
bin/arch you should have run is just

  bin/arch --wipe mylist

The mailbox archives/private/mylist.mbox/mylist.mbox is the default so
you don't need it in the command. You do need the --wipe, otherwise
you are adding the posts from the mbox to those that may already exist
in the pipermail archive.

>for each list.
>The complaint follows:
>"We went from 340 members to 465 in one list and from 102 to 59 in the other."
>Is there anything else I can do?

What files exactly did you restore in the lists/LISTNAME/ directory. If
there were any config.db* files, these are old residue from a 2.0.x to
2.1.x migration and should be removed. The potential issue is if
permissions or possibly some other error prevents the config.pck and
fallback config.pck.last from being successfully loaded, Mailman will
fall back to the ancient config.db or config.db.last.

If this is what happened, you need to recopy the config.pck from backup
and rempove config.pck.last and config.db*.

If that doesn't help or if there were no config.db* files, then I don't
know what the problem could be.

Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net>        The highway is for gamblers,
San Francisco Bay Area, California    better use your sense - B. Dylan

More information about the Mailman-Users mailing list