[Mailman-Users] To use or not to use content filtering

Andrew Hodgson andrew at hodgsonfamily.org
Thu Jan 27 22:42:01 CET 2011

Hi,

I have read various discussions on this list about content filtering settings in Mailman. For the most part, I usually leave content filtering on, and leave the defaults, primarily for protecting list users against malicious attachments (I am enough of an MS veteran now not to care about filtering all HTML).  However, over recent months we have had some issues with content filtering on some lists, with users who send emails with disclaimers, where the disclaimer is added as an attachment to the message, and Mailman appears to strip off the actual message, leaving the disclaimer to post to the list, and of course adding in the standard footer.

Are people using content filtering in lists where most people are using MS products, and a suitable antivirus package on the MTA as well as a low posting size limit, or are there any tweaks I can make to the content filtering settings that may get some of this stuff through?

Thanks.
Andrew.